Freedom Flotilla 2018: Boats Captured
July 30. From the Freedom Flotilla support staff: "Two people from Al Awda (The Return) have been released, but most
of the crew and participants are still in unlawful detention at Givon prison in Israel. We are still gravely concerned for their
safety and well-being as we had no contact with most of them as of 14:00 CEST today. We continue to demand that our boat and the medical
supplies on board reach their rightful recipients, Palestinian civil society in Gaza.
Although the Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) claim that the capture of our vessel happened 'without exceptional incident', eye-witness Zohar
Chamberlain Regev reports that at the time of boarding: "People on board were tasered and hit by masked IOF soldiers. We did not get our passports
or belongings before we got off the boat. Do not believe reports of peaceful interception."
Joe Meadors, survivor of the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty and passenger on "Al-Awda" is now in an Israeli prison. Tweet @SecPompeo and call on him
to insist the Israelis release Meadors. Or go to @strugglevideo and retweet our 2 tweets on the subject.
July 24. There are some national politicians who have expressed some sympathies for Palestinians in the past. Appeal to them to speak out now. See our 7/23 tweet to Sen. Sanders and Alexandra Ocasion-Cortes. @strugglevideo
Three boats have left Italy on their way to Gaza. Mazin Qumsiyeh is one of the passengers as are Americans Ann Wright, Joe Meadors and Robert Naiman. We wish them and all the other passengers and crew goodspeed.
Website of the Flotilla here Here's their Twitter feed and Live Map.
No boat to Gaza has made it to Gaza in 9 years.
What could help force Netanyahu/Trump’s hand? It can be done. Think about the cancellation of Trump’s family separation policy.
Let’s start with lots of publicity about the boat. Write to websites, newspapers, Congress. Insist they report on the situation.
Here's a 7/20 op-ed by Stanley Heller in the New Haven Register. Why not send the link to local media and members of Congress
Make some or all of these points:
· Israel has no right to put 1.8 million people under siege
· Whenever Palestinians satisfy an Israeli demand (return of a captured soldier, ending rockets, etc.) the Israeli government comes up with new demands
· Israel just responded to overwhelmingly peaceful #GreatMarchOfReturn by murdering over a 100 people and shooting over 15,000
· Freedom Flotilla boats going into Gaza are all treated as if they were loaded with weapons even though they’re inspected
· The Israelis illegally intercept the boats on the high seas, make no pretense about inspecting for weapons. They just seize the boats and arrest the passengers
· In 2010 they killed 10 passengers on the Mavi Marmara
· Israel even stops boats trying to LEAVE Gaza with wounded people or with articles of trade, something that couldn’t conceivably harm Israelis. The latest attempts this month a deemed criminal “provocations at sea”, a nonsensical offense.
Mazin himself has suggested these actions:
1. Share our messages and encourage your contacts to share them using hashtags #ShiptoGaza #FreedomFlotilla #CountdownToGaza; share e.g. videos like this short 30 seconds video
using those same tags.
2. Reach your local media with news links from our website https://jfp.freedomflotilla.org/, our participants and events and insist they cover the events
3. Contact elected officials and ask that they contact Israeli officials to demand they let the ships through [your local or national campaign
4. Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/FreedomFlotillaCoalition/ ), Twitter @GazaFFlotilla and Instagram @gazafreedomflotilla/ and encourage others to spread the word. Follow our boats' progress at https://jfp.freedomflotilla.org/follow-the-mission
5. Hold an activity or event on or around July 21 (first Saturday after we sail from Palermo) and/or July 28 (second Saturday, close to our estimated arrival in Gaza or possible interference by Israeli forces)
to demand that our boats be let through and that the blockade be ended, permanently.
6. Donate through on of our FFC campaigns: https://jfp.freedomflotilla.org/donate
Return to Home Page